Top 5 Tips for Holiday Shopping and Travel
November 21, 2017
1) Travel Notifications
- Providing a travel notification will keep your debit or credit card from being flagged for unusual activity. If we don’t know you’re traveling, purchases you make may be denied. You can let us know at any point before your travel date that you will be leaving.
- Managing your travel notifications is easy! You can update your account straight from the HFCU mobile banking app! You can also notify us of your travel plans by calling us directly at (800) 858-1693, or visiting your nearest branch.
Step-by-Step Guide for Using the Travel Notice Setting in Mobile App
2) Card Controls
- Card Controls allow the cardholder to control use and spending on a card. This function is available for all HFCU mobile app users to enable at the touch of a button!
- Using card controls, you can have your card turned off when not using it, and turn it on before a purchase. This helps to prevent fraudulent transactions from occurring on your account – just remember to turn it back on before your purchase!
- Worried about leaving your card behind? You may want to digitize your card(s) for use with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay. Not all merchants accept these yet, but many do, and it’s a great way to securely use your card without pulling it out of your wallet. Learn About the Digital Wallet
- A skimmer is a device that a fraudster places on an ATM or card terminal in a store or gas pump that copies card information so that a fraudster can make a fake card. Chip cards help protect against this type of activity, because the fraudster cannot duplicate the chip – but not all merchants can accept chip cards, so swiping is still popular. Make sure when using a card machine, whether in store, at the pump or at an ATM that you look first! How to Detect a Skimmer
- HFCU has partnered with Fraud-Defender for fully managed identity recovery services when you suspect identity theft for any reason, or your personal information has been compromised. With Fraud-Defender, a professional Recovery Advocate does the work on your behalf to restore your identity. Fraud-Defender identity theft recovery services packages starting as low as $6.95 per month and can extend to other members of the family. Learn About Fraud-Defender
4) Price Protection
- All HFCU Instant Issue VISA Credit Cards come with Price Protection at no additional charge. If a member makes a purchase with a qualifying HFCU VISA® card and then locates a printed advertisement for the identical item at a lower cost within 60 days of the original purchase price, Price Protection can refund the difference between the original purchase price and the advertised lower price up to $500 per item and up to $2,500 a year per cardholder. That is a very nice feature for a credit card to have, especially during the holiday shopping season! What’s Covered in this Free Offering?
5) Holiday Package Theft
- With the rise in online shopping, there’s been a pretty significant increase in theft of packages left on porches and front doors. Track deliveries online and confirm delivery has occurred. You can sign up for email notifications to track your packages from initial shipment to its arrival at your home, or the recipient’s address if you have the gift delivered directly.
- If you know a family member or neighbor will be home, ask them to pick up the packages as soon as they are delivered.
- Switch delivery location to your workplace where it can be received by someone and not left on the porch.
- See if the post office or store the product is being shipped from can hold the package for pick up. The post office will allow your package to remain safe and secure for up to 30 days.
- Here’s a great article on options for ways to secure your packages, including getting an Amazon Locker
Don’t Have the Mobile Banking App?
Available via Internet or smartphone and tablet app, you will be able to transfer money between accounts easily. Pay bills on the go, deposit a check with a photo to your HFCU account.